Hi. I'm Tonya

I’m a long time dilettante in the area of Buddhism and meditation. This will be my first short-term meditation class, although I’ve been to a few one-day’ers through sanghas in my community. I work in schools currently as a school psychologist and am preparing to test for my clinical counseling licensure in a few weeks so I can provide counseling services outside of the context of school at a later time. I enjoy working within the school system because there’s so much access to change the minds and hearts of children, parents, teachers, and administrators, or to provide additional support and encouragement, and to learn about people’s values and priorities. I am reasonably sure that I will be able to deliver the Mindful Schools curriculum within one of my schools… and I’m pretty darn excited about it. Hemera doesn’t provide scholarships for Mindful Schools; I learned about Hemera through Against the Stream sangha in L.A. I’m hoping to go on my first residential retreat during the winter break or next summer.

Hi Tonya,

I am with Inner Explorer, a non-profit dedicated to bringing mindfulness practices to teachers and students. I don’t know if you are still working with schools as a school psychologist, but I would be happy to speak with you further about our k-12 programs. We currently serve nearly 4,000 schools. Our program allows teachers to practice along with their students as they listen to guided mindfulness practices (5-10 minutes long depending on grade level). No prep! It’s as simple as pushing one button.

Teachers report a 43% decrease in their stress. Students experience significantly higher grades and test scores with fewer behavioral issues.

With Hemera, we are currently able to offer our program for one year at no charge to any teacher who posts on the Hemera Community forum. Please feel free to let me know if you would like to discuss our program further and how we might support you in your work.

Warmest regards,
Lisa
Regional Director of Program Development and Outreach